Monday, March 1, 2010

Quilting Again

I started quilting again after at least a six year absence. I don't consider myself a "quilter" by definition. This project, a t-shirt quilt, is only my third project, the first two being small crib size & wall hanging sizes. I learned to do embroidery and cross stitch in grade school from my grandmother, but have taught myself the quilting process by reading books. Of course home ec class in junior high school gave me the basic sewing machine skills, but I'm no master seamstress either.

I know I still have a lot of room for improvement. I am just now understanding why you really need to press your seams and still mastering my own unique quilting stitch, which is a form of what is called the "stab" stitch, not as common as the standard quilting stitch. Some day I'd like to master that as well, but it feels so odd for me.

I'll post more photos as I get closer to being done. These t-shirts are from my fifteen years as a Willmar Jaycee. I didn't want to get rid of them, but didn't wear many of them at all. I'm recycling and preserving fond memories of my years as a Jaycee.

My next quilting project after this one I hope to be a denin quilt using my old jeans I've been collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment